Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Napoleon's Buttons - Chapters 1 and 2

     After reading the first two chapters of this book, I am intrigued and eager to learn more.  I find the concept of people navigating and going to such extremes for spices to be similar to today where we mine for precious metals and oil.  Oil being of capital concern to all, not just those that make millions off of it.  People died over spices and people die over oil.  It seems that not much has been learned from history, we are forever bound to repeat history, sad but true.
     The readings have impacted me directly in the way I contemplate them.  I struggle to seek riches just as those before me, my riches are very much different but the want and struggle seems to coincide.
     Chemistry in my everyday life I see will change with each new chapter.  The understanding of uses for substances and chemicals ease my mind when I understand the purpose behind them.
     Overall the two chapters I read were very enjoyable.  I loved reading them and learned so much about the chemistry behind pepper, nutmeg, cloves and ascorbic acid but I also learned their uses.  My favorite part of all would have to be the history, very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment